direkt zum Inhalt

Residence Permit Application Berlin

I Received My Study Visa For Germany. What Should I Do After My Arrival In Berlin?

You received a long-term “national” visa to enter Germany. This visa is valid for only 90 days and has to be transferred into a German residence permit at the Alien’s Office Berlin before its expiration (please check your visa expiration date). Further information about the student residence permit application here (in German).


Note: Students Who Do Not Need To Apply For A Visa Before Their Arrival

Students who do not require an entry visa according to § 41 AufenthV (from Australia, Israel, Japan, Canada, South Korea, New Zealand, the US, Andorra, Brazil, El Salvador, Honduras, Monaco and San Marino) and according to §§ 28 and 56 Abs. 2 AufenthV (from Switzerland) must apply for their German residence permit within the first 90 days after their arrival in Germany (please check the stamp in your passport).

Information from the Auswärtiges Amt (German Foreign Office) regarding the visa exemption according to § 41 AufenthV. 

Information from the Ausländerbehörde Berlin (Alien’s Office Berlin) regarding the visa exemption according to § 41 AufenthV (in German).


Attention: Some of you (particularly the exchange students) might have received a national (D) visa that is valid up to 12 months instead of a 90-day national (D) entry visa. Non-EU citizens who will stay in Germany for less than one year may obtain such a visa. Since it should cover the entire period of your stay, you will not need to apply for a residence permit after your arrival in Germany, which will save you time and effort.


For Citizens from Switzerland:

Citizens from Switzerland have to apply for a “Residence Permit Switzerland” (Aufenthaltserlaubnis-Schweiz) within the first 3 months after their arrival in Germany. This is a formal act that has to be done by each Swiss citizen who plans a longer stay in Germany (according to the agreement of June 21st 1999 between the European Union and Switzerland). However, this application process is not comparable to the residence permit process of regular students (less paperwork).


Important Steps To Do Before

There are a few important administrative steps that you have to take care of before you can apply for your residence permit. One of the initial steps is to find a permanent residence (shared room, apartment, etc.) and to register your permanent address (Anmeldung) at the Berlin registration office (Bürgeramt). (Attention: A hotel or hostel is not considered a permanent residence!). Without this “police” registration, the Alien’s Office Berlin cannot process your file. Further information about this process can be found in the “Welcome Student Guide” that you will receive together with your acceptance documents. Your student advisor will be happy to assist you.

In addition, you have to prepare your documents for your health insurance plan and financial means in order to prove sufficient funds. Please consider that these processes may take some time to complete.

Residence Permit Application Process in Berlin

You will receive detailed information about the residence permit application during your orientation session at SRH Hochschule Berlin.


As an SRH student, you have two possibilities to start the process: 1. you handle this process on your own (submit the documents in person to the Alien’s Office Berlin and take care of all administrative steps alone; more information in German here), or 2. take care of the process via the SRH Visa Service (the SRH Visa Service submits your documents to the Alien’s Office and picks up your residence permit).


On their website you have the possibility to schedule an appointment online (service available in English).

Be aware that the residence permit application process may take several weeks to complete. During this time, students are somewhat restricted as far as travelling and working goes as your original passport (not for Swiss citizens) will be in possession of the Alien’s Office Berlin.

Contact Data: Alien’s Office Berlin

Landesamt für Bürger- und Ordnungsangelegenheiten
Ausländerbehörde (Abteilung IV)
Friedrich-Krause-Ufer 24
13353 Berlin



Phone: + 49 30 90269 0

Fax: + 49 30 90269 4099


Opening Hours:   

Monday & Tuesday      7:00 am to 2:00 pm

Wednesday & Friday          closed

Thursday              10:00 am to 6:00 pm


U9 Amrumer Straße, S41/S42 Westhafen,

Bus 142, Bus M27


Which Documents Do I Have To Submit?

  • Fully completed, readable and signed Residence Permit Application Form (in German/English/French/Italian)
  • Valid passport (only for Swiss citizens: copy of national ID card or passport is sufficient)
  • Copy of your study visa for Germany
  • 1 up-to-date biometric photo
  • Anmeldebestätigung from the Bürgeramt (confirmation of registration)
  • Immatrikulationsbescheinigung  (confirmation of enrolment) from SRH Hochschule Berlin
  • Proof of sufficient health insurance coverage (insurance confirmation & waiver form, if applicable)
  • Proof of financial support: You have to show that you have at least € 700* per month at your disposal (excluding tuition fees). For example, if you are applying for a residence permit for 6 months, you must show proof of € 700* x 6 months + tuition fees. Documents that can function in support of your application: proof of scholarship, bank statements, sponsorship letters, blocked account at a German bank over € 8000, “Verpflichtungserklärung” (sponsorship letter).
  • Processing fee
  • Additional documents may be required. 


All documents should be in German.


*This amount is subject to change.


Important Notice: SRH Hochschule Berlin recommends that you bring all the documents with you to Germany that you already submitted for your study visa application at the German Embassy.

Further information can be found on the webpage of the Alien’s Office Berlin:


Student Residence Permit (in German):



Residence Permit for Swiss Citizens (in German):


What Does The Residence Permit Look Like?

If You Submit Your Documents On Your Own:

You will receive a stamp (two pages) that will be entered directly into your passport (Klebeetikett). Please make sure that you have at least two blank pages left in your passport. On the second page, the special requirements (rights and obligations) of your stay are listed. Please be informed that this kind of residence permit is currently only issued at the Alien’s Office Berlin. At the moment, the authority in Berlin no longer issues electronic cards (eAT) due to restricted capacity.

If You Submit Your Documents via the SRH Visa Service:

You will receive stamp (two pages) that will be entered directly into your passport (Klebeetikett). Please make sure that you have at least two blank pages left in your passport. On the second page, the special requirements (rights and obligations) of your stay are listed. Please be informed that this kind of residence permit is currently only issued at the Alien’s Office Berlin. An electronic card (eAT) will not be issued for study purposes!

For Citizens from Switzerland:

Citizens from Switzerland will neither receive a stamp in their passport nor an electronic card. They will receive an additional paper, called “Residence Permit Switzerland” (Aufenthaltserlaubnis-Schweiz”). Further information can be found on the webpage of the Alien’s Office Berlin (in German).

Working Or Interning As A Non-EU Citizen (excluding Switzerland)

In possession of a valid German residence permit for study purposes you are allowed to work for up to 120 full days (full day = 8 hours per day) or 240 half days (half day = 4 hours) during the calendar year. However, freelance work is not permitted. Internships that are mandatory for the successful completion of your studies do not count towards the above named 120 full days.


Employment that is considered as “student part-time work(studentische Nebentätigkeit) (e. g. student worker in a university or in a university-related organization, Werkstudent activites in companies that are related to your studies) can be done without any timely restriction.


For detailed information, please refer to the webpage of the Alien’s Office Berlin (in German).

Swiss Citizens: The working restriction does not apply to Swiss citizens. They have the same rights as EU citizens.

Travelling With Your German Residence Permit

As a German residence permit holder, you can move freely within the following states of the Schengen area, within the residence permit’s term of validity, for a total stay of up to 90 days within a period of 180 days:

Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Federal Republic of Germany, Finland, France, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, the Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Republic of Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland.

This regulation applies only to visits for touristic purposes. When travelling, make sure to take your passport and residence permit with you.

Attention: In order to study in another country of the European Union, you may have to apply for a separate study visa. Please check with the respective Embassy for the requirements.

Visa Application For Other Countries

Foreigners holding a German residence permit can apply for study visas for other countries at the respective Embassies in Germany. This applies to students doing an exchange stay at one of our partner universities or to Tripartite Master students in International Management who spend one or two semesters outside of Germany (e.g. students going to INSEEC Paris can apply for their study visa at the French Consulate in Frankfurt/Main). Please click here for further information.

Validity Of Your Residence Permit

Your residence permit is only valid in combination with your passport. If your passport expires before the residence permit, your residence permit will be no longer valid. If you leave Germany for more than 6 months, your residence permit automatically expires.

Your Responsibility

It is your own responsibility to assure your legal status in Germany and to check the expiration date of your passport and residence permit/visa. Please contact the SRH Visa Service or the respective German authorities in due time before the expiration of your residence permit/visa.

International Office

Exchange Coordinator

Anne Hübner M.A.

Tel.: +49 30 374 374 153
Fax: +49 30 374 374 375

Visa Service

Dipl.-Üb. Gloria Thiller

Tel.: +49 30 374 374 155
Fax: +49 30 374 374 375

Coming up

March 2016: The application deadline for the academic year 2016/2017 (winter semester 2016/2017 or summer semester 2017) is Thursday, March 24, 2016. You are invited to browse the Moodle course International Office and to take a look at our website for more information.

April 2015: This spring, SRH Berlin Master's students will have the opportunity to take part in an exciting Business Simulation Game, which is organized in cooperation with the University of Granada. The game is based on a realistic computer simulation of the automobile industry and is a great learning experience!

May 2015: In May 2015, Mathieu van den Hoogenband (previous chairman of Weleda AG) will once again organize a workshop for our Master's students on the subject of leadership and success. During the workshop, titled “Life Stages,” Mathieu van den Hoogenband  will reveal his secrets to success and how to incorporate personal and business life into a meaningful and satisfying career. 

2014-2020: Congratulations! SRH Hochschule Berlin has just been awarded with the new Erasmus Charter for Higher Education (ECHE) which qualifies us to participate in the ERASMUS+ program in the years 2014-2020. The new ERASMUS generation will bring some changes which we will inform you about once all of the details have been finalized.