direkt zum Inhalt

FAQ Catalogue Language Courses 2015

Application Process

How do I apply?

For the application, please fill out the form that can be found under the following link.

When is the application deadline?

Pre-Study Course - Academic English


Intensive German Course (45 hours)


Intensive German Course (80 hours)


German for your career - Deutsch für die Karriere


Semester German Course


Who can apply? Can high school graduates or people who have finished their studies also apply?

All students enrolled at a university.

Which requirements do I need to fulfill for the individual courses?


Language Pre-Requisite

Accepted Proof

Pre-Study Course - Academic English

Complete B1.2

- official language test within the last 24 months with a score of

      TOEFL: 79-86 ibt

      IELTS (academic) = 6,0

      TOIEC 755 (Listening/Reading 755, Speaking 140, Writing 130)

- B1 online test with a min. score of 70%

Intensive German Course A1 (45 hours)

No prior language skills necessary


Intensive German Course A1 (80 hours)

No prior language skills necessary


Intensive German Course A2 (80 hours)

Knowledge of A1

- official proof of language course or official language certificate for A1

- A1 online test with min score of 70%

German for your career - Deutsch für die Karriere

Completed B1.1

- official proof of language course or official language certificate for B1.1

- B1 online test with a score of min. 50%

Semester German Course


Level A1: no prior language skills necessary

Level A1.2: official proof of language course or official language certificate for A1.1, A1 online test with a min. score of 50%

Level A2.1: official proof of language course or official language certificate for A1, A1 online test with a min. score of 90%

When can I expect an acceptance letter?

As soon as we receive the payment, you can expect an acceptance letter.

I'm experiencing problems with my application. Who can I talk to?

If you have a question concerning your application or any other question related to the language courses, please contact Ms. Nathalie Vogelwiesche

Language Courses 2015

Where can I find information about the Language Courses 2015?

Please refer here for more information

How long are the Language Courses and which are the relevant dates?



Time Period

Pre-Study Course - Academic English


6 weeks

Intensive German Course A1 (45 hours)


3 weeks

Intensive German Course A1 (80 hours)


4 weeks

Intensive German Course A2 (80 hours)


4 weeks

German for your career - Deutsch für die Karriere


4 weeks

Semester German Course


13 weeks

Which courses are offered in 2015?

The following courses are offered: The courses Pre-Study - Academic English course, Intensive German Course A1 (45 hours per week), Intensive German Course A1 and A2 (80 courses per week), German for your career as well German courses during semester times.

How many hours cover the volume of one course? (including lecture times plus preparation time)

Lecture periods include:



Pre-Study Course - Academic English

25 hours per week, 150 hours in total

Intensive German Course (45 hours)

15 hours per week, 45 hours in total

Intensive German Course (80 hours)

20 hours per week, 80 hours in total

German for your career - Deutsch für die Karriere

20 hours per week, 80 hours in total

Semester German Course

40 hours in total

What does the course schedule look like? Around what time do classes finish?

Classes are usually 2.5 to 3.25 hours long.

How many ECTS can I receive for the Language Courses?

For the Pre-Study Academic English course, you can receive 10 ECTS.
For the Intensive German course (80 hours), you can receive 5 ECTS.

How are the courses structured, e.g. is there a final exam or a final paper?

Generally only class attendance is required. However, in the Pre-Study Academic English course a final exam will be held on 21st August, 2015.

Can I transfer my achieved ECTS to other grading systems such as the American Credit system? How can I do that?

Yes, it is possible. If requested, you can get more information at our office.

How many students are there in each course?

A maximum of 18 students can enroll into a course.

Where are the classes held?

The courses will be held in the seminar building of the SRH Hochschule Berlin at Ernst-Reuter-Platz 10 in Berlin.

When should I arrive in Berlin at the latest?

We recommend you arrive at the latest 3 days before the commencement of the course.

Will I receive a certificate upon completion of a Language Course?

Yes, you will receive a certificate upon completion of the Language Courses 2015.

What if there are not enough applicants?

If not enough applicants for a course, it will not take place. In the case that you have already paid, we will refund you.

Which books and materials do I need for the Language Courses?

All course materials will be provided.

How high are the tuition fees ?

Pre-Study Course - Academic English

1,400 Euros

Intensive German Course (45 hours)

320 Euros

Intensive German Course (80 hours)

490 Euros

German for your career - Deutsch für die Karriere

790 Euros

Semester German Course

220 Euros

When should I cover the tuition fees for the Language Courses?

The tuition fees should be paid within 10 days after your enrollment.

How should I cover the fees? (e.g. bank transfer)

Please make a wireless transfer.

Until when should I have covered the fees?

At the latest, you should have covered the fees before the first day of the Course.

Which information should I include when transferring the money?

Please provide your first name, last name, name of the course and the dates.

Will you send me a receipt upon receipt of my payment?

If requested, a receipt can be issued.

Is there the possibility to use or join a library?

Yes, information about which libraries you can use will be given upon request.

Can I use the university library?

Yes, you may.

Do I have access to computers at the university?

Yes, you have.

Can I use the university's facilities also outside of lecture hours? Are there special study rooms or rooms I can book?

Yes, there are special study rooms available at the SRH. You also have the option to reserve a room.

Visa Process

Do I need a visa ?

EU nationals, students from the European Economic Area (EEA) and from Switzerland do not need a visa. Please contact the Germany embassy in your home country for more information.

Where can I find information about the visa I need, the visa process and possibilities of extending the visa?

Please inform yourself on the website of the Visa Service which you can find here. Please remember to initiate the visa process as soon as possible to make sure you receive your visa in time.

What happens if I did not receive my visa, but I was accepted to a Language Course and have already paid?

Please get in touch with us and we will refund you.

Living in Berlin

What are the costs of living in Berlin? Which kind of costs am I going to deal with, e.g. housing, transportation, visa?

Living costs (including accommodation, transportation, leisure activities) are approximately €1.000 a month depending on your lifestyle and requirements.

Does the university offer student housing?

Currently, we do not offer student housing.

Where can I live?

It is possible to look for an apartment or a “WG” (shared apartment). You can also look for an apartment for sublease or ask at one of the student dormitories in Berlin. This website is helpful: www.wg-gesucht.de/en/.

There is a large variety of student dormitories and also other houses where you can stay for a longer period of time. For example, the Paul-Fleischmann-Haus, The FIZZ, House of Nations, berlinovo Easy Living, Studentendorf Schlachtensee, Wohnheim Berlin - Förderkreis Junge Politik e.V.
Another option is to book an apartment through airbnb.com.

How high are rental costs and bills in Berlin?

On average, you should expect approximately €600 per month including water and electricity, etc.

How much time should I calculate before finding accommodation? When should I start looking?

In Germany, apartments may be offered long in advance, in Belrin rather short dated. You may be lucky and find accommodation relatively fast but we recommend you to start your search as soon as you receive confirmation of your acceptance to the program and that the program will take place.

How good is public transportation in Berlin and how long can I use it daily? What should I keep in mind when using it?

Berlin’s public transport system will take you almost anywhere you want to go and offers you all sorts of possibilities for getting around. During the week it is operating between 4 am and 1 am the next day. On Friday and Saturday night it is operating throughout the night. A ticket is necessary.

Which would be the best ticket for public transportation and how much does it cost?

You might be eligible as a Summer School student to get a discounted ticket called “Auszubildendenticket”. Otherwise, a monthly ticket is the cheapest alternative.

How much time does it take to get to university?

The so-called Ringbahn runs around Berlin’s city center on a rout of about 37 kilometers. If you live outside of that radius, it takes approximately 40 minutes.

What is the offer of things to see in Berlin like? How much money should I budget to visit some sights?

There are many different ways to spend your leisure time in Berlin. There are quite a few museums, music festivals, markets and other events. On average, you should calculate €10 to €20 for places where you need to pay an entry fee. Festivals can be more expensive.

Where can I find information about events happening in Berlin?

What are the sights and things Berlin is famous for?

Berlin is famous for its night life. Friday and Saturday evening the public transport systems does not close and so there are many events going on then. Museum island, East Side Gallery and the TV tower are some of the most famous sights. You should try a Currywurst and a Döner when you are in Berlin.

Where can I find general information about Berlin and Germany?

You can find general information on www.berlin.de or www.visitberlin.de/en. There you can also find a list of museums, exhibitions, restaurants, etc. The websites of the Germany Embassies around the world usually offer information about Germany and its cities, e.g. the German Embassy in London: www.london.diplo.de/.

How high is the electric voltage in Germany?

The electric voltage is 230 Volts and 50 Hertz.

Should I bring an adaptor?

The sockets in Germany have two round holes next to each other. In most other European countries, the sockets look the same, but it is definitely worth to inform yourself.

I want to visit a doctor. What is the process?

In Germany, the doctors are listed according to their specialization areas. A list of practices can be found here: www.aerzte-berlin.de/_php/therapie30/fach.php3

How can I make an appointment?

It is best to call. If it's urgent, you can also pass by and hope that the doctor has time.

How long will I have to wait for my appointment?

Often you have to calculate with a waiting time of about two weeks.

Who can I ask for support in such situations?

Nathalie Vogelwiesche is the contact person for the Language Courses. She can then direct you to a more knowledgeable person on the subject.

What if I don't speak German? Will that be a problem?

Ask a person from your course who speaks German to accompany you.

Language Skills

How do I know my language level?

This website gives you an idea of your language level in both English and German: http://sprachtest.cornelsen.de/einstufung/.


When should I book my flights?

Please only book your flights once you have confirmation that the course will take place and when you received your acceptance letter.

How can I reach Berlin?

Berlin is reachable by plane, car, bus and train. The airports are at the moment Berlin Tegel (TXL) and Berlin Schönefeld (SFX). The central bus station (ZOB) is located close to the radio tower. There are several train stations connected to the transnational rail systems.

Which documents do I need to show upon arrival? (for students with or without visa)

Please bring your Identification Card or passport if you are a student from an EU country, the EEA countries or Switzerland.

How can I travel from the airport to the city?

From Tegel you can take the bus to Zoologischer Garten station. Then you can take the U-Bahn, S-Bahn or bus throughout the city.
From Schönefeld you can take the S-Bahn or Airport Express to the Ringbahn and into the city. You can also take the bus to Rudow station and continue by U-Bahn.

Which insurances do I need? Do I need to prove that I have them?

You need foreign health insurance. Also, an accident insurance and personal liability insurance are beneficial. In case of illness, many foreign health insurance offer travels back to your home country. Ask your health insurance whether they offer foreign health insurance and which services are included.

If I have any questions...

Who can I talk to if I have questions concerning the Language Courses 2015?

Nathalie Vogelwiesche is your point of contact for the Language Courses (languages@srh-hochschule-berlin.de).