This website uses cookies. Cookies are important for the correct functioning of a website. Some of these cookies are technically essential to ensure the functionality of the website. In addition, we use some cookies to help us improve this website and your experience. If you click on "I agree", both the technically necessary cookies and the cookies for information on user behaviour are stored. However, if you click on "refuse", we only save the technically necessary cookies. Further information can be found on our data protection page.







International Focus Outgoing Exchange Students

Outgoing Exchange

Internship Abroad

A work placement in human resource management in Spain? A logistics internship in Sweden?

We strongly encourage all students to consider an internship experience abroad - either during your mandatory internship period, during your AKM semester, during the semester break or even between your Bachelor and Master studies. The experience that you will gain and the contacts you will make will have a lasting impact on your personal and professional life. Our Career Service will provide the necessary guidance in helping you find and apply for an internship abroad. As an added bonus, students who are interning at a company in a participating country are eligible to apply for Erasmus funding.

Study Abroad

You are interested in studying abroad but are wondering where, when and how to do it? Check below for the answers to many of your questions.

DEADLINES to submit your application for study abroad are March for Winter Semester 20/21 31st and July 31st for Summer Semester 2021

Please note that most of the following information does not apply to our summer school partnerships, but to our semester programme partnerships only. For a list of all partner universities, please check our download section. You will also find more detailed information about each partner university in the Moodle course International Office.

ATTENTION Master students in the Tripartite Master’s programme in International Management have already been assigned a study abroad combination in their study contract. These students do not need to follow these instructions for outgoing students as the process differs for them. Our Master Team International Management will inform all Tripartite students about the necessary steps they need to take in preparation for their semester(s) abroad.

All other Master students should discuss their interest in studying abroad not only with the International Office, but also with their Study Programme Director.

General FAQs about Studying Abroad

For Bachelor students, the 2nd year of their degree programme is the ideal period for studying abroad (3rd and/or 4th semester / AKM semester). In some instances, the 3rd year may also be an option.

Master students should contact their Study Programme Director to discuss which semester(s) may be most suitable for study abroad. If you would like to study abroad for less than one semester, a summer or winter school may be a great option for you. You may find one that fits right into your semester break.

If you wish to study abroad for two semesters, please be aware of the following: 

  • Depending on the cooperation agreement we have with our partner universities, a two semester stay may not be an option. Check with the SRH International Office to find out if the university of your choice covers two-semester stays. 
  • You should start your studies abroad in the winter semester since your stay must be completed within the same academic year. If you begin your studies at a foreign host university in the summer semester, you may not be able to extend.

In general, you may study abroad at any university in the world. We highly recommend choosing one of our partner universities for your study abroad adventure.

Why? Because it saves you time, effort and money. We cooperate with many universities inside and outside of Europe. Outgoing students benefit from these partnerships in different ways.

One of the perks: SRH students will not need to pay tuition fees at the partner universities with which we have signed semester programme partnerships (not including our summer school cooperations). Since the majority of our European partnerships were formed within the framework of the Erasmus programme, you may qualify for an Erasmus scholarship if you study abroad at one of the qualifying universities.

If you want to study abraod in fall/winter semester please hand in your application documents between first of March till  end of March in this year.

If you want to study abroad in spring/summer semester please hand in your application documents between first of July till end of July for the following year.

Depending on your citizenship and the country you would like to go to for your study abroad experience, you may have to apply for a student visa. Since the visa regulations and the visa processing times differ from country to country, you should check as early as possible whether or not you need a visa for the country you wish to study in. Information can be found on the website of each country’s embassy. Please keep in mind that visa processing can take several weeks or even months to complete and that, in general, you must wait for the acceptance letter from your host university before you can start applying for a visa. In order to start your visa application, you must have a valid passport. If you still need to obtain or renew your passport, please do so as soon as possible since processing times can also be several weeks. If you have further questions, please take a look at our Visa Service page.

Each student is responsible for arranging their own insurance coverage. Your health insurance should be valid in the host country for the entire period of your stay abroad. Citizens of the European Union who study abroad in another EU country should be covered by their European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) but should check with their health insurance company to be sure. We also strongly recommend that students have sufficient accident and liability insurance with coverage for their host country as well as a travel insurance which includes repatriation of remains.

Students participating in the Erasmus program may qualify for coverage in the DAAD Group Insurance at their own cost. The DAAD Group Insurance includes health, accident and liability insurance. 

Check the International Office course in Moodle for more information or click on the following link:

You are responsible for arranging your own accommodation for your stay abroad. Some universities offer campus housing, but you also have the possibility to rent an apartment or to live with roommates. The sooner you start your search for accommodation, the better. But don’t worry, should you not find anything before you depart for your stay abroad, consider moving into a hostel for the first few nights. Some students find it easier to look for a place to stay after they arrived in the city of their destination. The host universities can usually provide some links and other information that will help you find the right place for you. You may also want to check with your family, friends and fellow students to see if they know of a good resource. You never know who may know someone who knows someone who may have a place available in the city of your choice.

Financing your semester(s) abroad can be challenging, especially since you will need to continue to pay your tuition fees to SRH Hochschule Berlin.

Students who study at one of our partner universities with which we have semester program agreements will not need to pay tuition fees at the host institution. However, if you decide to study at a university which is not a partner university, it may get costly since you may be required to also pay tuition fees to your host university.

In order to help financing your study abroad adventure, you may apply for funding through Auslands-BAföG, the DAAD scholarship database or different foundations (Stiftungen) in your home country. Please check directly with these institutions to find out whether or not you are eligible to apply for funding and what the application requirements are.

Students studying abroad at an Erasmus partner university may qualify for an Erasmus stipend. Check the ERASMUS+ programme section for more information.

In order to successfully complete your classes at the host university, you must possess very advanced language skills in the language of instruction. Most of our partner universities offer classes in English. In addition to English language skills, it is beneficial if you have at least a basic knowledge of the official language that is spoken in your host country. For example, if you plan to study in France, you may want to brush up on your French before your departure. Some universities may ask you to provide proof of sufficient language skills when you apply.

During the application process you will need to choose the classes that you wish to attend at the host university.

In general, these courses should match the classes that you would take during that same semester at SRH Hochschule Berlin. This applies to the content of the courses as well as to the credit points which you will earn. Compare the curriculum of the host university to the curriculum of SRH Hochschule Berlin to identify eligible classes.

Once you arrive at your host university, make sure to meet with the Academic Coordinator there in order to confirm your courses. In most cases and for various reasons, it is necessary to make changes to your class choices. All changes must be reported to SRH Hochschule Berlin within 4 weeks of your arrival at your host university and must be approved by the Examination Board/International Office. Otherwise, there will be no guarantee that we will grant you the awarded credit points after your return.

Contact your Study Programme Director and our Examination Office several weeks prior to your host university’s course selection deadline for assistance with your class choices.

AKM Students: If you are studying abroad during your AKM semester, the course selection process works differently. You are not substituting classes, but rather taking additional classes for additional credits. So instead of finding matching courses, you must find courses which do not match. Contact your Study Programme Director and our Examination Office for assistance.

You must have your class choices approved by the SRH Examination Board before your departure for your semester abroad. Only then can we guarantee that the courses you plan to take at the host university will be recognized by SRH Hochschule Berlin. Keep in mind that credit points are only awarded for those courses that were successfully completed. The grade conversion is based on the so-called Bavarian Formula and the grading system of the host country.

Overlap of semesters:

In many countries it is common to have fall and spring semesters instead of winter and summer semesters. It may therefore be possible that your semester at SRH Hochschule Berlin and the semester at your host university overlap. In this case, make sure that you contact your Study Program Director as well as the Examination Office right away to discuss your options.

Cultural differences:

Study abroad is an adventure on many different levels. As similar as your home and host countries may seem, be aware that you will encounter cultural differences during your stay abroad. These can be overwhelming at first, but we encourage you to be open to them and to embrace them. Only then will you be able to get the most out of your time abroad.

Summer and winter schools are very condensed educational programmes which are usually between 2 and 8 weeks long. As the names suggest, they generally take place in the summer or the winter. These programmes are a great alternative for students who wish to experience life as a foreign student, but who do not want to study abroad for a whole semester. SRH Hochschule Berlin has several summer school cooperations. Since the programmes vary tremendously in length, content, ECTS, partnership rates, etc. it is best to contact the International Office for more information.

You can also find information about some interesting summer/winter schools in the Moodle course International Office in the section “Summer/Winter Schools”.

The staff of SRH Hochschule Berlin as well as the staff at your host university will assist you before, during, and after your study abroad adventure.

The Moodle course SRH International Office

  • Provides general information about studying, working and living abroad. 
  • Provides specific information about the SRH partner universities. 
  • Provides comprehensive reports of SRH students who have studied abroad in the previous semesters so you can get a better idea of what to expect during your adventure abroad. 
  • Is located in the SRH Library.

Your Study Program Director and/or Academic Coordinator

  • May assist you with your course choices at your host university.
  • May find solutions with you and the Examination Office should the semester dates of SRH Hochschule Berlin and your host university overlap.

The SRH Examination Office

  • Will discuss your course choices with the Examination Board once you submitted the respective application form.
  • May find solutions with you and your Study Program Director should the semester dates of SRH Hochschule Berlin and your host university overlap.
  • Will convert your grades once you completed your semester abroad.

The SRH Visa Office

  • Provides information about the visa and residence permit requirements for the country in which you plan to study.

The International Office of your Host University

  • Will also be there to help you and to answer questions.

Please feel free to email us anytime. You can also schedule an appointment to speak with us in person. 

More Information

Apply at a partner university



Apply at a non-partner university



Testimonials Outgoer
partner universities



Visa Service



Do you want to study abroad? Contact me!

Ruth Gorman

University Administration

Outgoing Exchange Coordinator
Room H111
Telephone +49 30 374 374 153 Send an email