Where do you work now?
I am working in the Projektentwicklungsprogramm (PEP) at Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH.
What is your internship about?
- Support in the design of measures to promote solar energy (e.g. market research on solar PV and mini-grid solutions.
- Conception of alternative financing models for solar hybrid mini-grid systems.
- Development of a recycling and disposal strategy for batteries, solar cells and diesel generators
- Support for day-to-day project management tasks
- Technical design of plants (e.g. PV-diesel hybrid with storage)
- Calculation of project cash flows
- Solar thermal sizing and energy efficiency analysis.
When did you start your internship?
I started my internship in July 2019.
How do you like your internship so far? What do you like in particular?
As an Electrical & Electronic engineer in occupation, I like my internship which is similar to my current Master's programme (Engineering and International Business - Focus on Renewable Energy, Water and Waste Management) and I also like the working environment of GIZ which always motivates me to work and to find out solutions in PV, Solar thermal and Hybrid systems.
How did you find your internship?
I applied through the online portal and got my internship after a professional interview.
Are there any skills from your studies that you can apply in your internship?
There are lots of skills that I have learned during my studies that are required in my internship. But my previous work experiences and my technical skills helped me to get this opportunity.
Is there any content from your studies that you can use in your internship?
I have chosen Photovoltaics and Wind Energy as major subjects during my studies. The content is quite relevant for my work.
Are there any recommendations you can give to students who are looking for an internship?
Although I am working in an international company that is based in Germany, the working environment and language is mostly German. So my only recommendation for students is to improve their German language skills as much as they can and to include their technical competences.