International Hotel Management Bachelor of Arts
Are you dreaming of a career in International Hotel Management? Perspectives will be open to you worldwide in the departments of Sales & Marketing, Controlling, Human Resources or Food & Beverage Management. We will provide you with the most important tools for success: Theory & Experience.
|Degree||Bachelor of Arts (B. A.)|
|Duration of Study||
Winter semester or Summer semester
|Foreign Expertise Module||
No, but 6 month international internship is included
|Customize Your Studies||
Yes, courses at our universities in Berlin available
3 internships, totalling 12 months
The Foundation for Success: Theory and Experience
In the Hotel Industry, practical experience and theoretical knowledge are essential skills for the management sector. Special emphasis is placed on the combination of academic content and practical knowledge in the degree programme “International Hotel Management”.
The International Hotel Management degree programme is designed to prepare its graduates to face the complex problem solving challenges involved in the management of a hotel. These obstacles must be overcome individually, professionally and efficiently. These skills are built upon the foundation of knowledge of business management and specific insights into the Hotel Industry. Additionally, particular soft skills and methods are needed to be able to responsibly manage teams and projects in hotels. During the Profile & Experience Phases the accumulated theoretical knowledge is applied to business-oriented issues. This takes place particularly during the three internships, which are integrated into the degree programme.
- Seven semesters, divided into modules that are focussed on Business Administration, Hotel Management, Soft Skills & Methods
- Experience Phases totalling 12 months
- Six week internship between the 2nd and 3rd Semester
- Six month internship in a foreign country during the 4th Semester
- Four month entry-level internship during the 7th Semester
- Composure of the Bachelor Thesis during the 7th Semester
In the first two semesters you will participate in two language courses, the first of which will be Business English. For the second language course you may choose between Spanish, French, Chinese, Arabic, Italian and Russian.
Best Perspectives – with a degree in International Hotel Management
Graduates of our programme are the next generation of the administrative departments in the hotel industry worldwide. Their opportunities are numerous, with capable experience in: Marketing, Human Resources, Controlling, Revenue Management and many other positions of responsibility.
Worldwide, the hotel industry is one of the largest employers. In Germany this sector offers a total of over 1 million jobs. The employment rate in the hotel industry is relatively low. This will continue to be one of the fastest growing job sectors in the future, especially for those searching for entry-level positions or opportunities for advancement. The diversity in the industry can not only been seen in the many countries of employment, but in the areas of expertise as well:
- Book-Keeping, Controlling, Human Resources, Upper Management
Sales & Marketing
- Reservations, Revenue Management, Public Relations, Operational Sales & Marketing, Catering Sales, Convention Sales (Banquet Sales)
- Reception, Concierge Desk, Guest Relation / Guest Services, Executive Floor, Housekeeping, Business Centre, Facility Management
Food & Beverage
- F & B Back Office, Banquet Service, Bar Management, Room Service
There are many interesting and promising positions awaiting you in the Head Offices of some of most well-known hotels and hotel chains in the world, for instance: Hotel Development, Quality Assurance Management, etc.
Still undecided? We offer many events and opportunities to broaden your network of contacts in specific hotel branches during your programme of study.
Wide Range of Knowledge for your Master’s Degree
Would you like to complete a Master’s Degree? We offer the ideal foundation for a higher education or academic career in business and hospitality management.
This will open numerous doors to higher management positions in one of the leading branches of the world.
Whether for Winter Semester or Summer Semester: You may apply at any time.
Apply comfortably with our online form. Please have all necessary required documents prepared as pdf, jpg or tif file and ready to upload with your application. Please be advised that the International Hotel Management degree programme is offered exclusively at the Campus SRH Hotel Akademie Dresden.
Please attach the following documents:
- Current school report card
- Foreign Language Certificates (if applicable)
We accept applications by mail as well. Early applications for enrolment 2 years in advance are especially appreciated by mail, and will be processed immediately.
The Application Procedure:
We will contact you immediately upon receipt of your application. You will receive an invitation for an interview, either in person or per telephone. With this meeting we wish to get to know you better, find out your motivation for the degree programme and to answer any of your questions. We are looking forward to meeting you.
What you need – Entry requirements for the degree programme International Hotel Management
A degree in Hotel Management requires our students to be service oriented, socially competent and have a high work ethic. We offer the same in return with small courses, individual career advice and a promising education.
- Qualification for entry to higher education according to German Law (qualifications acquired in countries other than Germany will be considered individually for recognition)
- Language requirements for the English-based programme are TOEFL (87 ibt; CBT 227; for a score between 79-86, a supplementary conditional agreement will be issued) or comparable certificates (e.g. IELTS Academic: at least 6.5; TOEIC: at least 785 or a school leaving certificate). A university degree completed in English will suffice as proof of language proficiency.
An Investment well worth it
The tuition fees for April 2019 intake are:
- EU/EEA students: €570 per month.
- Non-EU/Non-EEA students: €590 per month
This amount is fixed for the entire duration of the degree programme. An additional enrolment fee of €250 is to be paid once at the start of the programme.
The investment is worth it: A high-quality Bachelor’s Degree with a branch specific education is awaiting you. We make it possible for you to start an early entry into your professional career. Compared to other university degrees which are not structured to help build your career and less practice oriented you will not loose any time with us.
Scholarships and Foundations
The Association of German Foundations (Bundesverband Deutscher Stiftungen) has composed an overview of all foundations and Förderwerke that provide scholarships:
In the index of foundations, you will find all foundations classified by professional and geographic search options:
Here, you will find the links to some important German foundations:
- Friedrich-Naumann-Stiftung für Freiheit
- Evangelisches Studienwerk Villigst
- Studienstiftung des deutschen Volkes
Please note, that not all of the German foundations offer support to students of foreign nationality and/or have only a limited amount of scholarships granted. Information can be found at the respective website.
Scholarships provided by the DAAD for international students
Students may receive a scholarship from the DAAD for up to one year.
This period can be extended under certain circumstances. To find out more, you may contact the DAAD under
Deutscher Akademischer Austauschdienst
Tel.: +49 228 882-0
Fax: +49 228 882-444
BAFöG for German students
Usually, German students are entitled to BAFöG which typically contributes coverage of expenses for the complete two years of study. If students seek to go abroad, they should apply for BAFög at least six months before leaving Germany. Since the costs of studying abroad are obviously higher than compared to study at home, BAFöG is granted to a broader range of students seeking to study abroad, even for applicants who would otherwise not qualify due of their parents' higher income are still recommended to file a respective application.
This programme is ideal for those who...
- wish to become acquainted with foreign cultures and pursue a worldwide career.
- constantly focus on customer and guest needs.
- desire to gain a foothold in the diversity of the Hotel Industry with numerous job opportunities.
Questions about the programme? Contact us.
What our students say
Good Advice Recommendations from our Career Service Dresden
The hotel industry is one of the most exciting branches of the world for me. The greatest motivation in the workplace is a guest who confirms the pleasure of their stay. This does not exist in every job.
I recommend that students actively use the time given for internships:
- research processes
- go the extra mile in your workplace for guests and colleagues
- expand your CV with extra internships
- consider a part-time job to provide financial freedom and gain experience
There are many possibilities to pave the way to your dream job after graduation!
Guest Lectures in International Hotel Management Professional insights from industry experts
Theoretical information is well and good, but the knowledge gained from practical application is better. For this reason we invite experts and specialists to share bits of wisdom with our students.
Here is a quick overview of some of the topics:
- Saxonia Fördergesellschaft GmbH: The German Hotel Classification – Which criteria must be met in order for hotels to obtain “stars”? How does a hotel receive a Superior Rating? What is European standard classification system?
- INFOR: New technologies in the hospitality industry.
- Fraunhofer Institut Stuttgart FutureHotel – What does the Hotel of the Future look like?
- Hotel Hilton Dresden: Food & Beverage Management.
Hotel Management in Action Projects during the Degree Programme
In order to apply academic knowledge, our educators organise exciting projects with partners from the hotel industry. Starting in the first semester with the organisation of the panel discussion at the ITB. From there it gets more and more interesting with i.e. a hotel development project.
In the summer semester of 2015, 20 of our students from the sixth semester collaborated with the Hotel Bayrische Hof Dresden on the seminar “Hotel Development”. The family owned hotel operates over 56 rooms and suites as well as four apartments with exclusive design. Additionally, the guests may dine in the restaurant or make use of the conference rooms with space for up to 65 people. The hotel, which has been open for more than 20 years, faced many challenges after a change in management. .
Our students came to their assistance offering their help. They were divided into five groups and set the following fixed goals:
- Raise occupancy by 10% by the end of the year
- Prepare Dynamic Price Management
- Clarify Employee Division of Labour
- 1Raise Departmental Efficiency (or close)
- Modernisation / Style
It was very important that certain conditions of the hotel be followed:
- The buildings remain a hotel for all intended purposes
- No further rooms be built
- The brand name remain Bayrischer Hof Dresden
- An extreme change in the classification should not be made (Budget vs. 5 Start Segment)
- Three different budget varieties should be suggested for all changes (small investment, medium investment, large investment)
- The hotel technology will be upgraded at the same time
And this is how the project took place:
The students tested the hotel with mystery checks, conducted interviews with the employees and worked with them in the different departments. The individual tasks for each group were based on the recommended procedure from current and projected analyses. At the end of the semester the detailed presentation was given to the task manager. The academic procedure of the students, combined with the experience of working on the project, lead to excellent results.
The students and the Hotel Bayrische Hof Dreden were pleased with the project’s many positive results.